By FactsWow Team
Posted on: 30 Jul, 2022
An unimaginable event has transpired in the life of 17-year-old Olivia Kiger-Camilo from Wheeling, West Virginia.
Necrotizing fasciitis, which was almost fatal, was almost cured after Kiger-Camilo was transported, had several surgeries, and underwent months of physical therapy.
A woman who was competing in a dance competition noticed an open wound on her foot one weekend in March. She told PEOPLE that dancers get cuts on their feet. Several weeks ago, I began experiencing some pain in my left foot, which isn't uncommon for athletes.'
As soon as she got home from the competition, she collapsed from the pain. 'My parents could tell there was something wrong,' she recalls. Because of COVID and everything, we were scared of waiting for hours in the ER. But we are glad we decided to go.
All of Kiger-Camilo's blood tests came back normal at the community hospital, where her foot was not showing any signs of infection.
During her treatment, Kiger-Camilo was warned that she might suffer from compartment syndrome, in which blood gets trapped in an enclosed muscle space and further exerts pressure on the area. 'Communication syndrome is extremely dangerous,' she explains.
In addition to being in severe pain, she also had dangerously low blood pressure and a fever of over 100 degrees. Rebecca Kiger and David Camilo, Kiger-Camilo's parents, demanded that she be transferred to another hospital at that point.
The family boarded an air ambulance to take their daughter to WVU Children's Hospital, where she received life-saving medication. The operating room was ready for her within an hour of arriving at the hospital.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), necrotizing fasciitis is a flesh-eating bacteria with a mortality rate between 11-22%.
For more stories like this
Explore our website